Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Events: Point Loma, San Diego, Day 21

July 8, 2012 -- Everyone kept telling me that I needed to go to Point Loma while I was out in San Diego, and being a Sunday with nothing else to do, I figured this would be as good a day as any to take in the sights.  I was not disappointed.  Point Loma is on the opposite side of San Diego Bay and climbs about 400 feet above sea level.  There's an information center with a lot of history about the lighthouse that sits at the top of Point Loma, the Cabrillo National Monument, and the Point Loma Tide Pools.  Parking for the national park is only $5 and your receipt is good for a week, so money is not an issue here!

I went to the information center first to get a feel of what was around the national site.  The views from here are unbelievable.  I did my best to get a shot of me with the city of San Diego behind me.




I then walked over to the Cabrillo National Monument.  Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo was the first European to step foot on the West Coast back in 1542.  The monument in his memory might not look all that large, but you can see it from just about anywhere in San Diego.  I recall being able to see the monument from Pacific Beach and Coronado as well as downtown.




Next, I visited the Old Point Loma Lighthouse.  It's amazing to think that a man and his family operated the lighthouse from 1855 to 1891.  The picture of the beacon doesn't do it justice -- it's huge!





After the lighthouse visit, I walked the trails that gave me a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean and the huge kelp forests that slosh around the sea.  The colors were unreal, better than can be seen in the photos, again!





Finally, I drove my car to the Point Loma Tide Pools and walked around the area.  Once again, I was amazed by the beauty of the landscape and ocean.





If you're in San Diego, be sure to make a stop at Point Loma, it's well worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment