Thursday, August 30, 2012

Food: On the Bone, Wyndham Hotel, Andover, MA

August 30, 2012 -- On the recommendation of AP (remember him from San Diego?  He's terrorizing Andover too!), he said that I needed to try On the Bone at the Wyndham Hotel.  With anticipation of yet another stellar meal, a coworker of mine, let's call him Papa Jim, and I visited the restaurant a couple of weeks ago.  Well, let's just say I didn't share AP's enthusiasm.

First off, I can say that we didn't have very long to wait for a table.  Now I know Tuesday night isn't a big dinner night, but me and Papa Jim arrived around 7:00 PM and there was NO ONE in the restaurant!  Needless to say, we were seated immediately.  After sitting and ordering our drinks, we both turned our attention to the menu.  The prices are ridiculous and this is coming from someone whose company is paying for meals!  We both had to calculate how much we could spend (and our per diem is generous) before ordering.

Being known for its steaks (it's not called On the Bone for nothing!), I figured a good steak was in order.  I ended up getting a NY Strip steak for $29 and Papa Jim ordered a scallops dish.  The waitress first brought us our salads, which were probably the best part of the meal.  The salads for cripe's sake!  The bread that was brought to our table was hard and not to my liking.  Finally, the main entrees arrived.

My steak was fine, but it had too much fat and grizzle for a $29 piece of meat.  It was OK, but for the price and reputation I expected spectacular.  Nope.  The vegetables were fine but the baked potato was hard and not fluffy.  Again, this might sound knit picky, but when you spend over $45 for a meal, it better be good.  I was very disappointed.  Even Papa Jim's meal was below average and overpriced.

AP, I know you liked the place, but I can't justify the cost.  Too expensive, even for per diem.  Maybe that's why there was no one in the place.  I'm all for giving second chances to places, but the only reason why I would give On the Bone another chance is because someone else is paying for it.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment