Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fitness: La Jolla YMCA, San Diego, Day 2

June 19, 2012 -- Being a fitness buff, there's no way I'm going to spend my month in San Diego eating, drinking, and sitting in a lab all day for work!  I can't come back home to my wife 20 pounds heavier and with a pooch belly!  Not going to happen!  Fortunately for me, the La Jolla YMCA is literally two minutes from the Residence Inn.  Better yet, since I'm a Newport County YMCA member in Rhode Island, I can take advantage of their reciprocal program to go to the LA Jolla Y for free.  Well, actually the first 14 visits per year are free and only $5 a visit after that.  I still haven't reached my limit, so it's a win-win situation so far!

The facility is more than adequate, a better than average YMCA.  I still like the one in Newport better, but I'm splitting hairs at this point.  The fitness center and free weight rooms are away from the children's areas.  Let me tell you, people in California have their kids in everything, and I'm dodging their Y Summer Camp every day.  The kids are fine, but I have to tell you I'm amazed at how many old people go to the Y.  I'm not talking 60 year olds, I'm talking ELDERLY!  Remember, I have to change and shower in the men's locker room, so you can imagine the sights I'm seeing!  Where are the young(er) people?  I guess I'll have to serve as eye candy for the old ladies, whatever.  Anyway, I'm able to do double workouts without having to worry about waiting for machines, treadmills, bikes, etc.  If you have to travel like me and you're a YMCA member, take advantage of the reciprocal program; it'll save you some cash and keep you fit at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. "eye candy for the old ladies" What a guy! LOL

    ReplyDelete